Skip to content

Update for Psilocybin Facilitator Training Applications

Go man

The Oregon Psilocybin Services (OPS) section will open applications for psilocybin facilitator training programs on Monday June 6, 2022, at 9:00am PDT. OPS published this webpage that will soon be updated with information on applying for training program accreditation and approved training program curriculum. Individuals interested in receiving updates from OHA can subscribe using this link.

An important note on equity: OHA cannot establish state run training programs, meaning training programs will be operated by private companies who can charge whatever they want for their services. The recently published rules on training do not allow partial training programs (i.e., programs must offer all required curriculum and training requirements). This requirement will likely favor established training companies, and create barriers of capital for upstart and BIPOC led companies. Partial training programs could however contract with a comprehensive training program and provide instruction on specialized segments of the required curriculum.

Possible HECC Certification Requirement: A breaking development comes from an email OHA sent out on May 27, 2022, explaining that facilitator training programs may be required to apply for licensure with the Oregon Higher Education Coordinating Commission (HECC). Under Oregon law, career schools must apply for accreditation with HECC, and the statutory definition of a career school is worded broadly to include “any private proprietary professional, technical, home study, correspondence, business or other school instruction, organization or person that offers any instruction or training for the purpose or purported purpose of instructing, training or preparing persons for any profession,” ORS 345.010(3).

OPS in their email and online publication do not say whether psilocybin facilitator programs must receive licensure from HECC. OPS does not require such certification in their administrative rules, but the agency section emphasizes HECC is the ultimate decisionmaker of whether certification is required. HECC does have an exemption process for organizations that meet one of the definitions found in ORS 345.015, and the agency provides an exemption form for eligible organizations. OPS recommends that prospective training programs contact HECC with any questions and provides the following contact information regarding HECC licensure:

For Private Career School License – Exemption Request  & Student Complaints
Matthew Altman – Phone: 503-881-2738

For Private Career School License- New school Licensure
Peter Gertenrich - Phone: 503-551-8236

For Schools operating without a private career school license- Cease and Desist Letters
Monika Peterson – Phone: 503-507-8726

McGlinchey logo

Green Light Attorneys Perry N. Salzhauer, Daniel Shortt, and Brittany Adikes have joined McGlinchey Stafford