New York’s Office of Cannabis Management will start accepting applications for Conditional Adult-Use Retail Dispensary (CAURD) licenses on Thursday, August 25, 2022, according to this Press Release. The CAURD application window will close on September 26, 2022.
As a reminder, CAURD licenses are being issued before non-conditional adult use retail dispensary (and consumption lounge) licenses, in an effort to help communities historically disproportionately affected by the war on drugs. (OCM has not indicated when they will begin accepting non-conditional retail licenses, but it is unlikely to happen this year).
OCM has posted info on the CAURD application process here, including YouTube videos to help potential applicants. If you are interested in learning more about your CAURD eligibility, the “What To Know” section and this FAQ may be useful.
As a reminder, CAURD licensees must be “justice involved” and own at least 10 percent of, and control, a qualifying business. The documentation required to establish each of these prongs is discussed in the FAQ.
Additionally, CAURD applicants will be required to list all “True Parties of Interest” (TIP) when applying. Applicants will need to submit a history form, based on whether the TIP is an individual or entity, along with a Tax & Finance Clearance Form, for each TIP.
If you have questions about applying for a CAURD license, you may wish to contact OCM or a cannabis attorney. If you want to learn more about New York cannabis licensing, check out these Green Light Law Blog posts:
- Updates on New York’s Conditional Adult-Use Retail Dispensary Licenses
- New York Proposes Adult-Use Cannabis Advertising Rules
- New York Cannabis Control Board Meeting Focused on Seeding Opportunity Initiative
- The Public Comment Period for New York Conditional Retail Licenses Opened Last Week
- WATCH | Webinar | Opening a Cannabis Dispensary in New York
- The Application Process for New York Cannabis Dispensary Licenses
- Six Mistakes to Avoid if You Want a New York Cannabis License
- New York Adult-Use Cannabis Licenses